Well, technically speaking, cyborgs have been around for a while, now, but this audacious event is exciting because of the high visibility… and the effect of restoring function to someone who can’t walk!
Stimulators now exist for:
- The deep brain tissue (to treat Parkinson Disease, Pain, seizures, and soon Alzheimer’s Disease)
- The cochlear nerve (for certain forms of deafness)
- The trigeminal nerve (for migaine sufferers)
- The swallowing muscles (for people with difficulty swallowing and at risk of aspiration pneumonia)
- The retina (for certain types of blindness)
But the dream of regaining the ability to walk has been long-coming. Amazingly, it seems we’re on the threshold of this amazing NeuroRepair!